The Moor House Inn and Surtees Buildings
Front Street, Seaton Burn, Northumberland

The village of Seaton Burn is located on the old Great North Road (A1), 8 miles north of Newcastle-on-Tyne. In olden times, horse-drawn coaches stopped here. The advent of coal-mining in the 19th century brought an influx of population, accompanied by public houses to quench the miners' thirst.

On a stone above the main entrance of the "Moor House Inn" one can see the numerals "58", and infer that it was built in 1858. In the national censuses of 1861-1881, George Surtees is reported as beerhouse-keeper and inn-keeper. He was to remain at the Moor House until his death in 1887.

Moor House Inn, old photo
  Moor House Inn sign
the way things used to be
the modern pub sign

The census books also record a series of 8 dwellings, adjacent to the inn, known as "Surtees Buildings [or Cottages]". They have been demolished in recent years, so we were unable to view them on our visit in 2005: but, we may speculate that George built and/or owned these properties. One old building still remains, behind the Inn -- see photo below.

Moor House Inn facade
Moor House Inn, rear Moor House Inn, building behind
behind the inn

Thanks: Danny Whitley, Jenny Slater, Sid Stone